In any fabrication there are two types of improvements are:
Improvements in manual operations and improvements in machinery equipment . The first involves the definition of standard operation , the reallocation operation among workers , rearrangement , storage of spare parts and products , etc . The second improvement involves the use of new equipment for example robots and automated machines . In the factory Toyota repair manual operation is always done before mempebaiki completeness machine .
The reason is :
• From the point of utility costs , repair the engine may not be profitable .
• Perubaan manual operation if necessary can be developed as an initial condition , while no machine equipment repairs .
• Repairs to the machine perlangkapan often fail if done manually corrected before surgery .
Promoting policies Jidoka
Autonomy or ” Jidoka ” substantially improve machine equipment to reduce the number of workers . However , there are two issues to consider when applying Jidoka namely :
1. Although the use of automated machines can reduce labor keperluuan much as 0.9 persons, this machine does not reduce the number of workers on the line of the remaining 0.1 kecualijikan can also be eliminated . As a result, use of the machine it only increases the fabrication costs and improve product .
2. Jidoka often bring undesirable effects in determining the number of workers to be hired.
So , in both cases , the application of Jidoka it may limit the ability to reduce the number of workers – a matter of concern , because in essence, labor should always be reduced , especially when the demand decreases .
Toyota has two policies are:
1. The automatic machinery should only be used when there is an urgent need ,
2. The stations work on the machine must always be located as close as possible , especially if the machine occupying large areas , such as transfer machines .